Want some home remedies for leg cramps that work? If you are like one of those who suffer from leg cramps occasionally, you will find that the problem is actually a rather common one in our general population. Most people at some point are bound to suffer from leg cramps. This problem generally arises whenever an exercise program is initially started or if one subjects oneself to rigorous physical activity after leading a more or less sedentary lifestyle. The scientific reason for the development of leg cramps is the shortage of calcium to the muscles.
Those who quite frequently suffer from this painful problem should include adequate calcium in their diet. This can either be taken in its natural form such as having a glass of milk on a daily basis or by consuming a calcium supplement in liquid or tablet form. Apart from this, you can also keep some of the following home remedies for leg cramps tips in mind to reduce or prevent future leg cramps:
Home Remedies For Leg cramps
1. Magnesium can be very useful in eliminating painful cramps as it helps in relaxing the muscles. Around four hundred milligrams of magnesium in any form is sufficient to ward off the problem of recurring muscular cramps affecting the legs. This is possibly one of the most effective home remedies for leg cramps being practiced by several athletes.
2. If you are suffering from excessive muscular pain as a result of leg cramps, you can drink some chamomile tea as it especially helps in bringing down the discomfort associated with cramps. However, a number of cups have to be taken throughout the day for this remedy to be effective. At least five cups of chamomile tea consumed on a daily basis can help bring about an improvement in the condition.
3. Another effective way to relax the tightened muscles is to have a hot bath before going to sleep. Hot, running water should be used and sprayed on the legs for a few minutes. This is a natural remedy for muscular cramps and eases the muscles in the affected area thus relieving you of pain.
4. There are several exercises too that can help in curing leg cramps. You can stretch your legs up while lying down and hold them for a few minutes. Apart from this exercise, you can also push the heels of the feet downwards while pointing the toes towards an upward direction. Another exercise that can be practiced at home is that off placing your toes against a wall and stretching out the calf muscles. This can help provide relief for muscular cramps. However, before you practice any of these exercises, a proper warm up should be done to prevent injuring yourself.
5. Nutritional supplements like potassium, magnesium and calcium should form an important part of your daily diet if you suffer from regular leg cramps. This is because sometimes, cramps can be a direct result of deficiency of certain nutrients in your diet. Taking supplements such as liquid calcium magnesium citrate also works best.
6. Certain concoctions brewed at home can also help cure leg cramps. One of them includes a mix of one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar, one table spoon of calcium lactate and one teaspoon of honey in a half filled glass of moderately warmed water. Being one of the most potent home remedies for leg cramps, this remedy provides immediate relief for the cramping muscles.
7. Another great remedy for cramps is to consume basil leaves. Basil leaves benefits are many and they include cures for stomach pain and cramps. If you cannot stand the taste of basil leaves tea, then adding fresh leaves to your food may also work.