Croup is an infection that is normally brought on by a cold virus. It causes the voice box and windpipe to swell. An onslaught of croup usually run its course over a period of 5-6 days and more commonly affects children 5 years and younger and this is why it is crucial to find effective home remedies for croup.
Mild croup can be treated at home and can be identified by a harsh barking type of cough accompanied by heavy strained breathing which also comes with fever, restlessness and irritability. Using some croup home remedies should help get rid of the problem, however severe croup must be treated by a doctor.
Home Remedies For Croup
1. Allow your child to get adequate rest and make them as comfortable as possible.
2. Give them lots of cool fluids, fresh juice and water throughout the day. Frozen popsicles is also great in soothing croup sore throat.
3. Allow the bath water to run hot with the bathroom door closed. When the room becomes steamy and foggy sit with your child in the bathroom for about ten minutes.
4. Place a warm moist towel over your child’s mouth and let them breath through it. This is called a mist treatment and will help them breathe easier.
5. Use a humidifier in your child’s room using only plain water. Do not use hot vaporizer.
6. Make warm chicken broth seasoned with thyme, oregano and garlic. This will aid in soothing the throat and fight off any infection present. Read more about home remedies for cold here.
7. Ensure you give your child Vitamin C. This will help them fight infection and help enhance their immune system. Other types of Vitamins that will help fight croup are Vitamins E and A and Zinc.
Use these home remedies for croup to help make your child feel better.